Greetings! We hope everyone is having a great summer. Brent and I are busy, busy with work and gearing up to welcome baby girl #2 this fall. One of the many to-do’s that we decided to tackle this month is our budget – kids are not cheap, holy moly!
We thought we’d share some easy adjustments to make around the house that will help stretch your dollar a little further – who wouldn’t love that?!
- Make sure you are changing your AC filter EVERY MONTH. A clogged filter stresses your system, increases its energy output and can result in other (costly) system breakdowns.
- Consider switching to LED bulbs, on average the bulbs use a tenth of the energy as incandescent bulbs, last 50 times longer, and are twice as efficient.
- Unplug chargers, small kitchen appliances, and power strips when not in use.
- Keep curtains and blinds drawn during peak heat, direct sunlight can heat your home up to 5-10 degrees
- Keep your showers under 5 minutes. On average, a shower uses just over 2 gallons a minute and the average American shower lasts 8 minutes! How long are yours?
- Turn off the water while shaving and brushing your teeth
- Address and fix any leaky faucets or showers, a slow leak can waste several gallons a day!
We also encourage you to check out the City of Austin’s website to see the latest rebates and incentives for participating in the Energy Star Power Saver program, an awesome option if you’re interested in lowering your utility bills and increasing your home’s efficiency!